SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, January 25, 2019

Getting Fit Without Going Broke: Guide to Budget-Friendly Workouts


JACKET TANK LEGGINGS HAT SHOES

For as long as I have been "adulting," it has amazed me the amount of money that can quickly be spent in an effort to get or stay in shape.  The investment typically assumed with getting fit is LARGE and, at various times in life, completely unrealistic.  Additionally, if work travel is a part of your routine, it can often be difficult to justify paying for a membership to a gym or studio.  I   Over the years, I have found that the key to maintaining a healthy fitness routine is not the amount of equipment you are surrounded by or the number of times you meet with a personal trainer, but getting creative and staying self-motivated.

While I do not consider myself to be a perfect bill of health or the fittest, I do strive to make fitness a part of my daily life and, over the years, have found an array of options that are fun, challenging and, most importantly, easy on the wallet.  With January resolutions still fresh on the brain, I made this list of my favorite budget-friendly workouts.

FIND A NON-PROFIT, DONATION-BASED FITNESS/YOGA STUDIO IN YOUR CITY

Earlier this year, a friend introduced me to Small World Yoga here in my home city of Nashville and it was LIFECHANGING.  I had no idea that non-profit fitness studios existed and needless to say, I have quickly become a huge fan of a place that not only offers fabulous and inexpensive hot yoga but works to give back to the community.  Each session is a mere $5 donation.    

SEARCH FITNESS CLASSES ON YOUTUBE

Sure, it sounds like a no-brainer, but some of my favorite go-to workouts that I keep on standby for busy days come from YouTube.  Whether you prefer yoga or a total body training session, you can find it here.  A few of my favorites are Ali Kamenova (yoga), Gym Ra (pilates and total body), PopSugar Fitness (total body), and Tone It Up (if a pretty beach vibe motivates you!).  Best of all, these videos are FREE!

JOIN A FITNESS APP

I LOVE the ability to take my fitness with me during travel and get a workout anywhere, anytime which is why I find fitness apps so appealing!  While I have seen multiple apps pop up in the last few years for specific fitness genres, like AloMoves yoga app, my absolute favorite is Aaptiv.  This app offers unlimited access to thousands of workouts and programs, from beginner to advanced levels and ranging in time from as little as 10 min to 1.5 hours, with world-class trainers.  From everything to outdoor running programs to total body HIIT workouts (often with no equipment required), this app has singlehandedly changed my workout routine!  And, coming in at $14.99 a month, it is SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive than a membership to a gym!

INVEST IN A MULTI-USE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT FOR YOUR HOME

I do a lot of at-home workouts, but we do not have a home gym which means equipment must be small and easily stored in our closets, etc.  The most versatile (and worth the purchase) piece of equipment I have found is the Bosu (Both Sides Up) Ball.  This single tool can be used for leg exercises, balancing, core strength, arms, and even cardio.  Often, I will track down a total body Bosu workout on YouTube and get to work. While the initial investment for a Bosu is about 1.5 months of a gym membership, I can guarantee it will pay itself off in a matter of weeks!      

JOIN A RUNNING, HIKING, OR CLIMBING CLUB

Running has always been my favorite form of exercise when I need to relieve stress, but I tend to feel underwhelmed and lack motivation when running on a treadmill for long periods of time.  And, while running outdoors is exhilarating, it is always safer to be with a group, especially if running at night.  Check around your local neighborhood or area of town for a club nearby.  (Google is a simple way to find out!)  This is also a great way to meet new people in your city!

        




Post a Comment