SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Self Care Tips To Survive The Last Of Winter

HEADBAND / BATH BOMB / LIP SHADE
Winter tends to bring me down.  What do I mean?  Well, I have more than once been known to become a walking cold and, if I am honest, I tend to feel a little down in the dumps.  The shorter, darker and much colder days are not my favorite and thus I have found a few ways to combat my blues during the harsh winter months, both mentally and physically.  Read on for a list of favorite ways to keep a healthy body and mind during hibernation season :)





1. Vitamins.  Take them.  In a season where your immune system is at risk, it is always good to have a little extra help!  I am currently in LOVE with Care/Of vitamin packs.  These personalized daily vitamin packs are created based off of a series of questions regarding diet, exercise and even drinking habits.  Each month, Care/Of ships a 30-day supply of these vitamin packs to your door making it the EASIEST, foolproof service.  

2. Drink all the water.  It sounds silly, but challenge yourself to conquer the recommended 8 glasses (8 oz. each) of water each day.  You will feel more balanced and refreshed.

3. Indulge in a warm bath or shower.  I have always loved a warm HOT bath, especially during the winter when it is more common for our bodies to feel stiff or sore due to the colder weather.  The addition of essential oils or infused bath bombs are a great way to enhance the experience and aid relaxation.  Feeling Smitten is one of my favorite bath bomb companies on the market right now.  Inspired by a lack of clean ingredients in bath products, owner Courtney felt inspired to create her own collection of amazing (and SUPER cute) bath products free of harsh ingredients.  Not only do these bath bombs make your soak magical, but the silk amino acids present in each product work to keep skin hydrated - perfect for winter!

4. Sleep.  Nothing does your body better than hitting restart.  But with the shorter days during the winter, my body often has a hard time knowing when to shut down and go to sleep.  I have found that getting into a routine at night tends to help, whether that be starting with a warm, relaxing bath to calm the mind and relax the body or listening to a podcast curled up in bed.  Whatever works for your routine, find one and stick with it.  You will be surprised how good your body feels and how fresh your mind is with a really great nights sleep.

5. Exercise the mind.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have joked about my addiction to puzzles this year, but little activities like this are wonderful exercises mind and helping to unwind while staying engaged.  Paint, dive into an adult coloring book, or join me on my puzzle obsession.  On days when the cold is unbearable, these activities help, a lot!

6. Make a get-well kit.  If only I had been smart enough to do this in year's past!  Make a box filled with essential items needed when you're sick so that if/when you come down with something, you can bundle up and rest rather than running to the store!  

7. Eat your veggies (and fruits, too).  Yes, I am totally "mom'ing" you right now, but eating foods rich in antioxidants during the colder winter months will do wonders for keeping your immune system healthy.  Antioxidants aid in fighting off free radicals and keeping the body running smoothly.  This recipe from WellPlated filled with delicious seasonal veggies has been one of my favorites of the season. 

8. Curl up by the fire.  Sometimes surrendering to the season and relishing in the moment brings all the relaxation needed.  We just recently purchased an electric fireplace and there has not been a night this winter where I did not turn it on.  Everything feels cozier and its inviting flames serve as a mental reminder to myself that it is ok to slow down and relax. Don't have a fireplace?  I have long been a fan of turning on the Yule Log on my tv (west elm's mid century one is my favorite)!

xx
- S    

Post a Comment